Thursday 23 June 2016

2016-06-22 Mixed Bag

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - Sailing the Hatchery - and Elsewhere.

The forecast today was for the wind to come in waves - with the best wind in the Corridor.  Our day started out as usual with Dog River for coffee and then Bette's for breakfast.

Most of us went to the Hatchery and started the day with a nice sail on 4.8 to 5.6 sails.  After an hour or so, the wind started to drop, so everyone except Cynthia and Harold came off the water for lunch.

Cam headed to the Event site for his afternoon Kiting Lesson.  His instructor gives him a radio headset, so he can follow Cam on a jetski giving him verbal instructions as Cam practices his jibes and sailing.  Cam is making great progress.

Karen also took a lesson today.  She tells us she is making most of her transitions and progressing well!

Andreas and Ross had said they would be at the Kiting site by the Bridge by 2:00ish, but by the time I got there they were already out, and the wind was coming off.  There were almost no kiters on the launch site.  I am pretty sure I could have gone out on my 13.5 kite, but with no one there to watch me (and find track down my board if I lost it), I decided to give it a pass.

I drove over to the Event Site to see if Cam had finished his lesson, and then saw Bruce Peterson and Phil Soltysiak heading out on their Formula gear.  I got my camera and took a few photos.  It is amazing to watch how fast they go in almost no wind.  I met Phil many years ago at Nitinat Lake on Vancouver Island, and have followed his career ever since.  He has been a top 10 (in the world) freestyle windsurfer for years and recently is doing very well in slalom as well.  Check out his website here.  Bruce is a local friend here in Hood River who I have known for years.  He is a local and US Slalom champion and runs his own company, Sailworks.

Bruce Peterson and Phil Soltysiak

Phil



The wind picked up late in the afternoon, so the guys at the Hatchery were able to get back out.  Kent had a great time on his 6.6 Hucker blasting back and forth at twice the speed of everyone else on the water (most limping along on 4.8's or 5.3's).  As it picked up, he switched down to his 4.8.  Most of the guys were on 4.2 to 5.3 for about an hour.

Blaine spent the afternoon "Demo-ing" everyone else's equipment.  He says "Why re-rig your own stuff if you can use everyone else's.

Jim, Cynthia, Cam, Andreas, Ross and I met at the Sandbar Pub (on the waterfront at the Event Site), for a beer at the end of the day.  It was a beautiful warm day.

Half the guy's went to 6th Street for supper, while the others went to Three River's Grill.

Three River's Grill

Another great day!  More photos of Bruce and Phil are on my Flickr site HERE ...

Phil - going downwind on Bruce's rig!


Bruce still in front!

Phil

Bruce laying down a jibe - makes it look easy!



Phil and Bruce




No comments:

Post a Comment